Re: [exim] /var/mail/xxx may not be a link

Author: John Burnham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] /var/mail/xxx may not be a link
> hi,
> i have a 2-node tiny-cluster. one active, one passive node.
> i need /var/mail/root available all time on both nodes but all the other
> files should live on mirror
>
> ln -s /mirror/var/mail /var/mail
> worked so far.
>
> but
> ln -s /mirror/var/mail/xxx /var/mail/xxx
> for every user xxx except root, does not, cause exim claims /var/mail/xxx
> to be a regular file.

Presumably mail to these mailboxes is delivered via an appendfile transport ? If so, then

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_appendfile_transport.html

and look at the allow_symlink directive. It's false by default. You'll want to set it to true for your appendfile transport.

If not, post more details and we'll investigate further.

John