Re: [pcre-dev] New API for PCRE

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Autor: ph10
To: Graycode
CC: pcre-dev
Betreff: Re: [pcre-dev] New API for PCRE
On Sun, 9 Jun 2013, Graycode wrote:

> I think one of the drivers for a new API is that the current (int)
> option bits are pretty much all used up. I don't know how the new API
> might address that. I'm saying that OPCRE would still define its
> options as (int) while the equivalent set of options in NPCRE might
> not fit in a single (int).

That is a driver, but it is not (IMHO) the main driver. We do have some
ideas about it, though.

> I don't feel comfortable with option #2 whereby both the old and new
> could coexist and be utilized together.

They must both co-exist in some sense, so that different applications
can upgrade at different times. However, my own preference is to keep
them quite separate.

> Let the new API be a solid basis for the future without being limited
> by concerns for compatibility with the old API. That's probably the
> best and easiest approach.

That is definitely one of our ground rules.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel