Re: [exim] remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out on …

Author: Chris Siebenmann
To: Don O'Neil
CC: exim-users, cks
Subject: Re: [exim] remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out on AWS EC2 Instance
| SELinux is already disabled.
|
| I tried doing a manual test by telnetting to the remote server on port 25
| and putting the commands in manually to send a message, and it was accepted
| for delivery. Something is amiss with the Exim config or some other
| interdependency. The IPTables config and anything Amazon might have
| configured are out of the picture now that I've verified the box can send
| mail manually. My IPTables config doesn't have anything user restricted
| either.

At this point I'm at a loss for what could be causing this.

If I was trying to troubleshoot this I would now be reaching for strace
(to trace Exim while it's trying to do this) and tcpdump or wireshark
(to compare the packets sent during an Exim connection attempt to the
packets sent during telnet or netcat successfully connecting). But
that's just desperation speaking because I can't think of anything else
to do.

Sorry; I wish I had better ideas. If you figure out what the cause is,
I would be very interested in hearing it.

    - cks