Re: [exim] The problem with Free Software

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Chris Knadle
Para: exim-users
CC: Allen Bell
Assunto: Re: [exim] The problem with Free Software
On Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:42:57, Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Ian Eiloart <iane@???> wrote:
> > Being open source, of course, Allan is quite at liberty to change the
> > code before compiling. Or pay someone to do it, if he thinks that any of
> > the rest of the code is useful. Or use another MTA.
>
> If I understand Allen Bell correctly, the thing he's reacting to is this
> part of the documentation (from
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_default_con
> figuration_file.html ):

I'm not sure.

Allen mentioned /var/mail/root, which implies he's having trouble concerning
email delivery to the root _mailbox_ . AFAICT (at least on Debian) mailboxes
are owned by <user>:mail (root:mail for the root mailbox), with permissions
rw-rw---- meaning that the mailboxes are all writable by the 'mail' group;
however on Debian Exim runs under the "Debian-exim" user, and by default is
not part of the 'mail' group.

I think the combination means that Exim has to gain permission as each user in
order to deliver mail to their respective accounts, and can't do this for the
root mailbox because Exim is banned from becoming the root user.

However it's customary to redirect root mail via /etc/alases to a normal user
account, which will get around this issue without any other reconfiguration or
recompiling necessary. So Allen -- this is what I'd recommend.

> But just to be on the safe side:
>
> Has the FIXED_NEVER_USERS compile-time option been removed?

Looking at the Git repo, still seems to be available:

cknadle@Trelane:~/src/Exim_upstream_git/exim$ fgrep -r FIXED_NEVER_USERS *
src/src/EDITME:# FIXED_NEVER_USERS=root:bin:daemon
src/src/EDITME:FIXED_NEVER_USERS=root
src/src/config.h.defaults:#define FIXED_NEVER_USERS         "root"
src/src/globals.c:uid_t   fixed_never_users[]    = { FIXED_NEVER_USERS };

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@???