Re: [exim] SBL checks not working

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SBL checks not working
On 29/05/13 11:50, Duane Hill wrote:
> Set your FreeBSD to use a local resolver (if you can). Some ISP/DNS
> services will return a resolvable result pointing to a common place
> for addresses that do not resolve or return an NX lookup result.

Look out for VPS providers that block DNS queries that don't go through
their provided DNS servers. Can be a royal pain when attempting to do a
dig +trace only to have every part of it blocked.

> Also, RBLs like spamhaus.org will block lookups from public DNS
> servers.

Or ISP DNS servers unless they have a deal with the DNS RBL providers to
locally mirror the zone. That is a fairly rare situation in my experience.

Basically, your servers should be querying directly, or have a
commercial deal with them.