Re: [exim] Exim with Dovecot, dovecot-lda, sieve and exim sm…

Author: Sebastian Arcus
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim with Dovecot, dovecot-lda, sieve and exim smart relay
On 23/05/13 12:14, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 10:46 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> fixed_plain_client:
>>     driver = plaintext
>>     public_name = PLAIN
>>     client_send = ^$sender_address^${lookup{$sender_address}\
>>       lsearch{/etc/exim/exim-client.passwd}{$value}{fail}}

> Wrap your $sender_address bit in an if test, like this:
>
> ${if eq{$sender_address}{}{SPECIFIC_ADDRESS}{$sender_address}}
>
> ...where SPECIFIC_ADDRESS is a real address in your lookup table. That
> way all the OoO replies will authenticate remotely as a single user.
>
> It's a bit long-winded to look at, but effectively it says "if
> $sender_address is empty then replace it with SPECIFIC_ADDRESS". And you
> need to do it for both the username, and the password lookup.
>
> Graeme

Thanks Graeme. That has crossed my mind - but then I seem to recall
vaguely that the provider's SMTP servers normally check to see if the
"From:" field matches the email address/username passed during the
authentication session. Wouldn't that cause problems and cause my
provider's SMTP to refuse my emails if they all authenticate as the same
user, but have other email addresses in the "From:" header field? Or am
I remembering wrong?

On the other hand, is there anyway I can get access to the "From:"
header contents during my own authenticator? Maybe some sort of re-write
rule earlier on, filling in the "$sender_address" variable with the
contents of "From:" - if it is empty - so I can still use
$sender_address during authenticator?

--
Linux vehicle CCTV - www.open-t.co.uk/iroko