Re: [exim] Exim appears to stop handling mail via the localu…

Author: David Grant
To: <exim-users@exim.org>
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim appears to stop handling mail via the localuser router after a while
On 5/17/13 6:31 PM, Todd Lyons wrote:

> Have you checked to see if there is some kind of max
> open files issue happening on your machine?

This very likely could be it. Right now /proc/sys/fs/file-nr show 8448
files open, which is more than the system default per account of 8192.

Over the weekend I tested forcing "ulimit -u 32768 -n 32768" in my exim
init script, and this morning bumped it up again to 65536. I didn't see
any difference over the weekend, but it's too soon to tell today.

It's possible we didn't encounter the issue previously because exim is
restart every 24 hours to allow ClamAV to reload with updates (ugh).

I'm still monitoring, but this looks promising.

Thanks,
Starchy