[exim] All of a sudden mailing stops working, with msg "fail…

Author: QC
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] All of a sudden mailing stops working, with msg "failed to expand helo_data..."
2013-05-08 10:38:35 Received from myid@??? H=localhost (
www.myhost.com) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=2462 id=
ecf6982263527ad20c5258c9ac102afa.squirrel@www.myhost.com
2013-05-08 10:41:40 failed to expand helo_data: lookup of "ptr=XXX.XXX.XXX"
gave DEFER:
2013-05-08 10:41:40 failed to expand helo_data: lookup of "ptr=XXX.XXX.XXX"
gave DEFER:
2013-05-08 10:41:41 failed to expand helo_data: lookup of "ptr=XXX.XXX.XXX"
gave DEFER:
2013-05-08 10:41:41 destinationuser@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp defer (0): failed to expand helo_data: lookup of
"ptr=XXX.XXX.XXX" gave DEFER:

This is one of many messages I started getting on the 8th. The last working
outbound message went out around midnight.

I've searched the entire system for changed files in the days before. I've
not made any changes for a while. I'm running a pure Debian 6 server, with
a few newer software packages. The system is fully patched, and the last
update was weeks ago or longer. It just stopped working. The machine have
5 permanent IPs, Sitting in a coloc facility and has been running
flawlessly for years with zero downtime.

Any advice or tips greatly welcome!

Brian