Re: [exim] Understanding DKIM examples

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>
Subject: Re: [exim] Understanding DKIM examples

On 7 Apr 2013, at 17:21, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

> On 04/07/2013 05:04 PM, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
>> I agree. But I've been running mail servers for years now, and I cannot
>> really get the benefit of DKIM, unfortunately. I was against SPF in the
>> beginning, mostly because it breaks forwarding, but we are to a point
>> now where nobody forwards anymore
>
> I see forwarding used all the time.
> --
> Jeremy

You're both approximately right. A lot of forwarding does still happen. But, it's probably a lot less than it used to be. I don't think anyone would recommend setting up a mailing list that doesn't rewrite the sender address, these days.

There's a lot of personal mail forwarding going on, but that's easier to whitelist since each instance only affects a single user. Also, some of the large mail providers offer "fetch" facilities that will use IMAP or POP to fetch your email; of course that means password sharing, which has its own problems.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex