[exim] Is it possible to quote/escape leading + on a list it…

Author: Jeff Dairiki
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Is it possible to quote/escape leading + on a list item?
Okay, this is probably a silly question, but I've been through the
manual, the FAQ and google, and haven't been able to figure out the
solution.

How can one include an item in a list (in my current case, a
local-part list) when that item begins with a '+'? I've not yet found
a way to prevent such items from being interpreted as a named list.

In my case I've got a

local_parts = $original_local_part

on some routers. If $original_local_part begins with a '+', this
results in an "unknown name local part list" fatal error. Is there
any way around this, short of moving the test into a condition test?
(I have to support older exims (4.72) which do not support multiple
condition lines in a single router. Moving the test to the condition
make for some hard to read compound condition clauses.)

Thanks for any help.
Jeff