Re: [exim] slow server response in accepting local smtp emai…

Author: Jim Pazarena
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [exim] slow server response in accepting local smtp emails
Jeremy Harris wrote, On 2013-04-03 1:19 PM:
> On 04/03/2013 08:58 PM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>> I am trying to find out why locally generated emails take so long to be
>> accepted by my mail server.
>
> The first question is - by "locally generated" do you mean
> "talks to your exim by some other means than SMTP", or
> "talks using SMTP, but from the local machine".
>
> If the latter, I'd be looking first for ident-protocol checks (giving
> up after a timeout) second for RDNS issues. Most people find
> the former worthless these days, and disable them (look for
> "rfc1413_query_timeout" in
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_default_configuration_file.html ).
> You could grab a packet trace for the connection.

My rfc1413 is disabled, as is rdns for local IPs.

However I found that local emails were being assessed by spam-assassin.
And spam-assassin seems to take 10-15 seconds per message, so I
exempted my local subnets from spamd interrogation, which seems to
have sped up local acceptance of emails.

What is the 'usual' time it takes for spam assassin to traverse a
message? I see error messages in the SA log:

"warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases /var/s
pool/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: Interrupted system call"

which certainly could be the source of my slowness.
Now to determine what THAT issue is...

hints? thanks!