Re: [exim-dev] Using log_create() from src/src/log.c

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] Using log_create() from src/src/log.c
On 2013-02-17 at 12:10 -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Exim has another function that I think does exactly what I need for
> generating response messages in the moan.c file, but it's declared as
> static. Using the moan_send_message() function, I can stuff messages
> into an error_block pointer that will allow me to put whatever text is
> necessary plus the headers and original message.
>
> So do you think that this is an acceptable method for generating a
> DMARC forensic message? I also plan to log failures sending, but
> won't halt flow because I consider it a non-fatal failure.

These are effectively delivery status notifications from transit
servers, right?

I'll nudge here to make sure anything that might produce backscatter
isn't enabled by default and the administrator has to explicitly choose
to enable these new outbound mails, beyond just DMARC-checking
functionality ...

It seems reasonable that a DSN would be treated a bit like an error;
would it be better to provide a cleaner wrapper in moan.c() for this
use-case, abstracting out "send a forensic-type email"?

If not, sure, making the existing debugged functionality available as
needed elsewhere is probably best.

-Phil