Re: [pcre-dev] JIT and callouts

Góra strony
Autor: ND
Dla: Pcre-dev
Temat: Re: [pcre-dev] JIT and callouts
Hi, Zoltan!

> The question is what to do. 1. Is it worth to implement a restricted callout mechanism (some members are set to an invalid value)? 2. What should we do with the ovector? 3. And a theoretical question: is JIT worth when we call expensive C functions?

1. I see ovector and capture_top can be filled when callout starts. Why there is no possibility to set capture_last?
2. Fill it when callout starts.
3. My point of view is YES. Everybody must be awared then callout is expensive mechanism due for it's nature. The strategy of applying callouts includes understanding that them must be use at a pinch only. The JIT expenses for preparing to start callout are negligible comparing with callout action itself. But callouts are used not only when the speed is not important. Yet use of them is effective when JIT engine reaches them rarely through the hard remaining pattern processing.
In any case the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of pattern depends on user skills much more.
My applications executes a HUGE PCRE computations. But callouts are located in places that interpreter passes very rarely. And I think use of JIT will bring a great advantage nesessarily.

Thanx.