Re: [exim] OT: Suggestions for a mailing list for POP -> IMA…

Góra strony
Autor: Jan Ingvoldstad
Dla: Frank DeChellis
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] OT: Suggestions for a mailing list for POP -> IMAP
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Frank DeChellis <frankd@???> wrote:

> Hi there,

Hello!

> I run Exim, qpopper and UW IMAP .
>
> I have a POP account running on my laptop with a ton of folders and old
> email. I have questions on what will happen if I convert to IMAP. Will it
> delete the files on my laptop because those folders do not exist on my
> server, etc.
>
> Does anybody have suggestions for the correct mailing list to ask those
> questions on? I have several pending conversions to do for other clients
> so
> a related forum would be handy.

This has nothing to do with Exim, at least.

It does, however, have something to do with the mail client software you
use.

Microsoft's products, Apple Mail, Thunderbird and most others have no way
to convert a POP account into an IMAP account, or vice versa.

However, since it's a new year and all that, here's how to do this, which
should work with almost any client:

1) Deactivate your POP account in your client software (ensure that it does
not log in anywhere, is offline, or whatever).
2) Activate a new IMAP account in your client software, fetching mail from
the IMAP server.
3) Create a folder for old/archived mail in your IMAP client.
4) Copy the messages from the POP account to your IMAP account.

If you need help with the specifics, you should seek help in the support
forums for the client software you use.
--
Jan