Re: [exim] Exim -bS problem

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim -bS problem
On 2012-12-04 at 07:15 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> The email vanishes when I try this. If however I run it out to a file
> can then cat the file from the command line through the same filter it
> works. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Trying to run code as root?

> spf_sucks_deliver:
>    driver = pipe

[...]
>    group = root
>    user = root

>From src/EDITME (the template for Local/Makefile):

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
# Although Exim is normally a setuid program, owned by root, it refuses to run
# local deliveries as root by default. There is a runtime option called
# "never_users" which lists the users that must never be used for local
# deliveries. There is also the setting below, which provides a list that
# cannot be overridden at runtime. This guards against problems caused by
# unauthorized changes to the runtime configuration. You are advised not to
# remove "root" from this option, but you can add other users if you want. The
# list is colon-separated. It must NOT contain any spaces.

# FIXED_NEVER_USERS=root:bin:daemon
FIXED_NEVER_USERS=root

I certainly hope that you haven't removed root from FIXED_NEVER_USERS.

-Phil