Re: [exim] which package contains the sendmail binary?

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Britton Kerin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] which package contains the sendmail binary?
On 2012-11-28 at 09:41 -0900, Britton Kerin wrote:
> I know exim sometimes contains a sendmail binary because on one system I
> get this:
>
> brittonk@??? [~]# sendmail --version

Unfortunately, "--version" took a while to make it into Exim and was
first added for 4.73; before that, you need to use "-bV" instead.
(--version is just an alias for -bV).

Older Debian ships Exim 4.69+many_patches, so "/usr/sbin/sendmail -bV"
should help.

And this problem is why we added --version in the first place: everyone
expects it now. :)

> But on my debian box (current stable distribution), there is no
> /usr/bin/sendmail binary even though I have exim installed. There is a
> /usr/sbin/sendmail binary, but it doesn't seem to be the same one because:

Could be worse, could be /usr/lib/sendmail ...

> Does anyone know what debian package provides the /usr/bin/sendmail program
> or its equivalent like on the first system described?

Try:
$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/sendmail

If that returns a response, then that package provided the symlink.

If it doesn't, then sendmail program in your path might be managed by
the Alternatives system, see update-alternatives(8). Running:
$ ls -ld /usr/bin/sendmail
might show a symlink to /etc/alternatives/<something> -- if so, then you
use update-alternatives(8) to manage it.

-Phil