Re: [exim] Rejecting over quota at RCPT time - revisited

Author: Robert Blayzor
To: Matt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting over quota at RCPT time - revisited
> We run a script every 5 minutes that reads the quota file then looks
> at each accounts usage and it it exceeds 90 percent adds the address
> to a block file. Its quite customized for our layout. We also auto
> suspend accounts not used in X years or months. Its not perfect but
> does the trick. Likely the easiest solution is to do away with the
> quota.

That doesn't work when you have several tens of thousands of accounts. Going through that many maildirs would take a long time and cause a lot of trashing on storage. It would never finish in 5 minutes and would be running continuously. It would be nice to hit the condition internally in Exim and be able to set something either internally or externally and make a check for this at RCPT time. Kind of what you've done, but with Exim catching the condition rather than relying on an external process to do so. I would probably use memcached to share the data with all of our servers.

As for the expiring of accounts, we tie that in with Dovecot. Using a Dovecot post-login script we hit a file after each login via POP/IMAP, which keeps the file in the homedir/maildir fresh. Exim checks the mtime on this file in a router condition and will reject it if it's not been updated in X time. Works well..

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC, LLC