Re: [exim] Filtering remote MX's by IP

Top Pagina
Auteur: Wolfgang Breyha
Aan: Robert Blayzor
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Filtering remote MX's by IP
On 2012-11-26 20:00, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> We are seeing a lot of mail sitting in queues for bogus MX's that
> resolve to either RFC1918 space or to just bogus IP's in general.
> Before we implement, what exactly happens when a message in queue hits
> this list? Does an NDR get returned to the sender address or is the
> mail silently discarded? Since this is mostly to prevent some
> spam/virus backscatter in some cases, is it possible to silently
> discard?

Usually, if you're using ignore_target_hosts, verification of the domain
fails since there is no valid MX host left for the domain in question and
your exim will refuse the domain if used as envelope from.

Mails in the queue most likely will bounce or doublebounce/freeze. Depends
which returnpath the messages have. Removing them with -Mrm seems reasonable.

Can you give some samples of MX entries pointing to bogus IPs other then
127.0.0.1 or ::1?

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha@???> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria