Re: [exim] Sudden failure accepting incoming email, with "Un…

Author: James R Grinter
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Sudden failure accepting incoming email, with "Unrouteable address"
On 27 Oct 2012, at 12:30, Lena@??? wrote:

> Yes:

That seems to be a red herring. Such a (temporary) failure as not being able to communicate with one of several name servers should never result in a hard 5xx error. Especially when it involves accepting to a local domain.

That DNS failure of the sending host coinciding with local domain rejections seems to be a symptom of whatever is actually failing, rather than the cause of the failure.

I did some subsequent testing with a separate exim process started on a different port. It hadn't processed any real SMTP traffic, and could only be connected to from my internal network. I got the same error after it had been running for a period of time (but, a "live" exim had been running and once again failed. So it's also possible that there's some corruption being caused somewhere by whatever real-world emails it was accepting)

Of course now that I've built a binary with debugging symbols - Murphy's law - it hasn't happened again in my test set up, but I haven't left the live exim running unattended.

So I don't think its my MX's DNS. It as if something has started going wrong with the resolver after a period of time.

But my second question is still open- why does Exim reject the local domain as unrouteable when this happens? What am I missing from my config to make it not do that?

James.