Re: [exim] Exim 4.80.1 security release - details

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Chris Gerhard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.80.1 security release - details
On 2012-10-27 at 13:57 +0100, Chris Gerhard wrote:
> I just checked this on Solaris 11 and there is it fine. So it appears to
> be an issue with OpenInidiana where the shell is ksh93 and is lacking
> the local keyword:

I have just about finished blinking. The /usr/xpg4/bin/sh which existed
before on Solaris was also ksh, but clearly did support that keyword,
since this script worked before.

I believe that this change crosses beyond the sanity threshold to a
realm of passive-aggressively pedantic standards "compliance", missing
the point that standards are to try to make code work as widely as
possible by establishing a common base, not to penalise code written by
someone not on the standards committee.

I'm sorry you're stuck trying to use a platform being maintained by such
people. Perhaps one of the other forks is less broken? I can't help
but think you'll have less wasted energy if you're not spend your time
fighting artificially created conflicts.

Exim had code which worked on most platforms, and special-cased the
family tree which OpenIndiana is on to keep it working on that platform.

The "lookups-Makefile" script is invoked from the Makefile with $(SHELL)
instead of relying upon the #! line. Please export SHELL=/bin/bash or
somesuch before building Exim, to get a shell which is willing to
cooperate. If you can confirm this works, I can add something to the
README in the platform-specific notes, warning OpenIndiana users.

-Phil