Re: [exim] Avoiding duplicated E-Mails in forwarding

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Luca Bertoncello
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Avoiding duplicated E-Mails in forwarding
On 2012-10-18 at 07:27 +0200, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Phil Pennock <exim-users@???> schrieb:
> > On 2012-10-17 at 16:32 +0200, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> > > Now, in this case, an E-Mail directed to c@mydomain will be delivered to
> > > x@mydomain (duplicated, due to the entry in a@mydomain and b@mydomain),
> > > y@mydomain, z@dmydomain, k@mydomain and w@mydomain.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to avoid the duplicated E-Mail to x@mydomain?
> >
> > Are you sure it's duplicated? If it's the same message being routed,
> > then that should be suppressed. If it's _separately_ sent to a@ and b@
> > then this can happen, but that's because you then sent two messages.
> >
> > Or, it could be you're looking with -bt and being thrown by -bt not
> > quite matching reality. In which case you have my sympathy.
>
> Hi, Phil!
>
> Yes, I'm sure, they will duplicated...
> In the fact, my configuration forward the E-Mail sending them to localhost
> and then they are _new_ E-Mails...
>
> Any idea?

So Exim delivers messages it's given. If you get multiple messages in,
because you've routed them around to get multiple messages, then each
will have the addresses routed independently.

You're at the level where you've taken the messages outside Exim's
control enough that you need to move the decisions about what recipients
should be honoured out of Exim's control too, and write a daemon which
tracks "Message-Id" and recipient headers, so can be asked for each
$h_Message_Id: and recipient pair, if this recipient should be re-routed
to /dev/null instead.

Or, you can move control back into Exim, so that for one message being
routed, all the recipients can be seen as on that message, and Exim will
do what you want, automatically.

-Phil