Re: [exim] Strange system filter behaviour.

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>, Molly Fletcher
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange system filter behaviour.
On 2012-10-10 at 09:38 +0000, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> I think the address for Mail is taken from the "From" header, not the
> envelope. So do check that that's not inaccurate.

The address used by the filter "mail" command is $reply_address.

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
$reply_address

    When a message is being processed, this variable contains the contents of
    the Reply-To: header line if one exists and it is not empty, or otherwise
    the contents of the From: header line. Apart from the removal of leading
    white space, the value is not processed in any way. In particular, no RFC
    2047 decoding or character code translation takes place.
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

The value is then processed to replace newlines with space characters.

Molly: for the testing, if you can identify the source of the test mails
in an ACL rule, then you might try:

  warn   condition = ... whatever identifies the test mails ...
         control = debug/tag=.testfilter/opts=+filter

That will turn on debugging, to a file called debuglog.testfilter (in
the normal logs directory), for messages which match the supplied
condition. It turns on category logging of "filter", just like
"-d+filter" would.

There should be some lines in the debug log starting "Filter:", followed
by some lines with the mail parameters.

Regards,
-Phil