[exim] in some cases EXIM not authenticated and unable to se…

Author: Жданова Мария
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] in some cases EXIM not authenticated and unable to send email
Hello all,

I have the following problem: in some cases EXIM not authenticated and
unable to send email:

The situation 1 - non-succesful email:

    C: EHLO client.example.com
    S: 250-smtp.server.com hello [ip], smtp.server.com
        250-HELP
        250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
        250-SIZE 31457280
        250-PIPELINING
        250-8BITMIME
        250 OK
        C: MAIL FROM:<mail@???> SIZE=225055 | RCPT TO:<
user@???> | DATA
    S: 530 authentication required | 503 need MAIL before RCPT | 503 need
MAIL before DATA

There is only one 250 response that includes the server name and the auth
login all in one.
After the server response to EHLO, we're trying to send email without
authorization and getting an error.
Although the server has option AUTH LOGIN PLAIN, but EXIM does not send the
authentication as it should.

The situation 2 - succesful email:

    C: EHLO client.example.com
    S: smtp.server.com
    S: 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
       250-8BITMIME
       250 PIPELINING
    C: AUTH LOGIN
    S: 235 Authentication succeeded.

The succesful email is getting a 250 server name response from the email
server and then another 250 auth login is received and the we send the auth
login as it should.
(configuration file and version of Exim are the same in both cases).

Also I was watching a similar situation with the possibility of STARTTLS
and it also works well,
although the name of the server and commands received in the one message
from server:

SMTP>> EHLO client.example.com

  SMTP<< 250-mx.google.com at your service, [ip]
         250-SIZE 35882577
         250-8BITMIME
         250-STARTTLS
         250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

SMTP>> STARTTLS

Can you tell me why Exim does not use the option AUTH LOGIN PLAIN in first
case and how it can be corrected?

Best regards,
Mariya