Re: [exim] changing mailstores

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: paul.osborne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] changing mailstores
On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 13:02 +0100, paul.osborne@??? wrote:
> As part of the process I intend to shutdown SMTP on mailstoreA in order
> to force mail to queue on my Exim routing host - this I am happy with.

OK, but...

> However changing the mailstore requires changing the routing data in the
> underlying database used by Exim so address xyz@??? routes to
> mailstoreB - again updating the underlying database is something I am
> happy with.

Excuse me going *yick* at this idea :)

If it was me doing this, I'd:

1. bring up B alongside A
2. force A to not deliver locally but smarthost to B
3. change global routing data to route to B

That way you have a transparent changeover without having to take
anything down until you're sure all the mail has drained from A and all
other mail is going to B; then you can shutdown A.

Of course... if A is a closed box with no knobs you can turn to achieve
this, the idea won't float.

Graeme