Re: [pcre-dev] A native pcre exec for JIT

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: Christian Persch
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] A native pcre exec for JIT
Hi,

> Also IMHO for *new* API we shouldn't continue the problems of the old
> APIs; that means we should use size_t for the length, start_offset and
> offsetcount parameters and the offsets themselves. (If the current code
> can't cope, just reuturn an error if length > INT_MAX, but then we can
> fix that without changing API.) Also, maybe options should be unsigned
> (it's flags, right?).

I think this would be a major change, which should only happen if all pcre API would go to the new form. Probably uint32_t would be the best for flags.

We were thinking about a complete redesign of the API for some time, and perhaps we should note these requirements as well. Perhaps we should introduce a pcre2.h sometimes and some conversion functions which translates the arguments from the old format.

Regards,
Zoltan