Re: [exim] [Exim-maintainers] Portability check: writev()

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Exim-maintainers] Portability check: writev()
On 2012-09-13 at 23:41 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> writev goes back to 4.4BSD at least, and Stevens mentions that Solaris
> 2.5 supports it, so I assume you're on the safe side with writev as
> well.

Me too, which is why I told the patch writer to go ahead and use it, but
I thought I'd double-check, because we've been bitten by weirdness
before, every time we start using an additional system call, and the two
current uses of writev() are guarded with feature #ifdefs.

I did note that the GNU libc docs talk about providing emulation of
writev() on platforms which lack it, so I know that such platforms did
exist in the past. I'm hoping that nobody is running Exim today on such
a platform, or they're using GNU for a compatibility layer if they are.
Thus my mail.

-Phil