Re: [exim] Bulk Outbound Performance

Author: Ron White
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bulk Outbound Performance
On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 12:16 +0200, Cyborg wrote:

> you know "C & A" ? they sent spam each day and call it newsletter ;) As
> i removed my address from the list, they already had a choice to
> selected why you left, which covered the "too much mails" spam reason .
> So it can be legal bulk mailing, good intented and spam at the same
> time. The frontier is very liquid as it's a personal matter to decide if
> you get abused by the mailing or not.

Indeed. I can cite many instances of respected companies abusing email
systems and sending unwanted commercial email claiming it to be totally
consensual. They bend rules and best practices, sell your data, don't
unsubscribe you etc. Swinton insurance in the UK is a fine example. I
regularly get pill spam to swinton.xxxxxx@???, a watermark
address I used with them about five years ago. Ditto Confused.com,
Nochex and even BT. I think they are starting to clean up there acts a
bit.

In my eyes it is companies like this that are quite abhorrent. They
abuse whitelisting, can throw money at Return Path for accreditation and
generally do as they like without fear because they are 'too big and
important' to care.

Thankfully many of the freemailers now give a good degree of control
back to users with 'mark as spam' type buttons that feedback and, in
many cases, penalise bulk senders.

My original question was about performance based on a discussion with an
double opt-in mailer with a list of nearly a million. He already has a
solution he is happy with via a reputable ESP (if such a thing exists).
The average spammer is going to use ratware, not a bonafide commercial
MTA costing $4k a year to licence. The curiosity came because they made
some fairly bold generalisations towards Postfix and Exim suggesting it
was crippled compared to the wonder MTA. I thought those claims were a
little rum.

I'm sure I've read that Exim does not perform as well as Postfix or
Qmail for large outbound queues, but I may be mistaken. It's not
something I have a dire need to do anyway, I'm just interested in how it
stacks up technically, and when you have esteemed folk with very good
educations from seats like Cambridge, I'm going to stick my neck out and
ask people with vastly superior knowledge to myself. I don't mind people
mocking me for my stupidity, but to have it suggested I'm some kind of
spammer is really a bit out of order, but that's done and dusted and I
want to draw a line under it.