Re: [exim] Exim outgoing emails throttling

Author: Chris Knadle
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim outgoing emails throttling
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 08:24:42, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 15:10 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > The two greylisting implementations I'm familiar with, greylistd and
> > postgrey, don't seem to have any configuration options related to RDNS
> > or SPF. As far as I can tell they both operate solely on whether there
> > is already an entry for the sender emailing the recipient, otherwise a
> > temporary rejection is done
>
> I'm not sure about greylistd, but my encounters with postgrey have led
> me to believe that if there's *anything* you can get wrong when
> implementing greylisting, that's the design choice that postgrey will
> have made.

Re: postgrey -- in what sense?

> cf. http://wiki.exim.org/SimpleGreylisting

I had a look through the implementation at the link above. I like the fact
that remote mail servers get whitelisted after they've been found to retry
sending mail, as that makes sense and is something that most greylisting
implementations don't do.

However I don't see anything in the implementation about RDNS or SPF. I
personally wouldn't trust RDNS or SPF in a greylisting implementation, because
both are something that are in the control of the DNS server for the sending
domain.

BTW let me know where I can get your GPG key.
You can get mine from hkps://zimmermann.mayfirst.org

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@???