Re: [pcre-dev] libtool

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Giuseppe D'Angelo
CC: pcre-dev, H.Merijn Brand
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] libtool
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:

> On 12 June 2012 12:20, H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@???> wrote:
> >
> > I promise I will try that. For now, I might suggest to call
> > NON-UNIX-USE NON-LINUX-USE, as AIX and HP-UX *are* Unix and
> > - even when the auto* is installed, will most likely NOT work.
>
> But I agree that perhaps that file name should change (as well as the
> instructions in the readme).

When I first developed PCRE I was still working, and was able to test it
on a number of real Unix [tm] systems as well as Linux. In fact, the
first development happened on Solaris. That is how NON-UNIX-USE got its
name. Now that I'm retired, all I have is Linux.

I agree that you have raised an important documentation point. I will
try to put some better wording into README and NON-UNIX-USE, which
perhaps would be better named NON-AUTOTOOLS-BUILD, though I am a bit
wary of changing a name that is so long established. (Of course, I could
leave a pointer to the new file. Yes, that's probably the best idea.)

8.31 is currently in testing, and is soon to be released. I'll try to
get some changes into its documentation.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel