[pcre-dev] libtool

Author: H.Merijn Brand
To: pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] libtool
Will there be a version of the excellent pcre available that does NOT
require the ultimate of shit: libtool?

Using libtool makes life unacceptable hard on HP-UX and make building
on AIX impossible.

libtool was once created to hide all linking problems accross OS's,
but failed beyond belief. Ever tried to build a .a on AIX that contains
BOTH 32bit objects and 64bit objects on a project that uses libtool?

Ever used libtool on a machine where the compiler is GNU, but the
linker is not? Or vice versa?

It is such a shame that an awesome project like PCRE makes it close to
impossible to advertise its awesomeness on systems other than Linux.

FWIW AIX is *NOT* my choice. I have to work on it because customers
require us to support it, but for PCRE I will not do any updates on
PCRE anymore. I'm stuck to pcre-6.4

using perl5.00307 .. 5.14   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE