Re: [exim] Newbie Question about Webmail

Author: exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Newbie Question about Webmail
On 08/06/12 03:51, Mehma Sarja wrote:

> This is an unusual question - how to configure a mail server to ONLY do
> webmail?
>
> I need some help thinking about this - Pop and IMAP handle incoming mail
> for MUA and SMTP handles outgoing mail from a MUA. However, what are the
> parts when all-z you want to do is webmail? So, my users will send and
> receive all mail via web.

Typically, webmail apps talk to an IMAP server in order to access the
delivered email, and to an SMTP server to send out email. You would
still need *something* to talk SMTP in order to deliver mail from your
system to other systems, so you may as well use a tried and tested SMTP
server like Exim. I suppose theoretically you could have a webmail app
which reads mail directly from a Maildir folder rather than connecting
to an IMAP service, but I'm not aware of any.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F