[exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only

Autor: Dan
A: Exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only
Hi,

I'm new to Exim, so forgive me if this question has an obvious answer,
but I searched for several days and couldn't figure it out myself.

If I want to configure Exim as an SMTP AUTH client (but I don't need an
SMTP AUTH server) do I need to install Dovecot or Cyrus (or any other
SASL implementation or additional software) or do I simply need to
properly configure Exim's config file? Here's my situation, to be sure
that I am asking the question clearly: I have one host machine (CentOS)
running Exim with several local user accounts and I do not plan to allow
any users from remote machines to use this Exim implementation, so I do
not think I need to configure it for authenticated IMAP or POP. This is
why I am not certain if I need Dovecot or Cyrus or any other software.
However, my ISP blocks port 25 outbound but offers an outgoing mail
server relay for me to connect to on port 587. So, if I'm not mistaken,
I need to configure Exim on my host for SMTP AUTH as a client to this
ISPs outgoing server. But I'm not sure if Exim has everything necessary
to make an authenticated connection as a client. Do I need to configure
certificates? Or is everything I need in the exim.conf file? I have
already tried to modify the "smarthost" and "client auth" sections of
exim.conf with no success.

If there is an example (or tutorial) that might get me going in the
right direction for this kind of setup, or if anyone would be willing to
give me a general roadmap, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dan
--
Spam Dan