Re: [exim] Newbie question on queues

Góra strony
Autor: Todd Lyons
Dla: jeffrey.starin
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Newbie question on queues
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Jeffrey Starin <jeffrey.starin@???> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Just starting out on Exim and a bit confused as to the purpose of queues.
>  If my email campaign software is firing off outbound emails to the Exim MTA
> and Exim subsequently connects to remote SMTP servers to deliver the mail,
> then after smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 10 starts dropping them in the
> queue for delivery later, what's the purpose of this?

Quoting from the Exim spec (Chapter 14, Main Configuration)
"This helps to limit the number of Exim processes when a server
restarts after downtime and there is a lot of mail waiting for it on
other systems."

> It seems to me delivery issues present when Exim is making direct remote
> SMTP connections to the mail servers will also be present when the queue
> runner starts later and delivers all the messages in the queue anyway.

You can then control the max number of queue runners to hold that load down.

...Todd
violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding