Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troub…

Author: Scott Neader
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troubleshoot
Thanks, David, I'll send it to you direct.

My concern on the timeouts is:

1) I have seen in the past that all of my Exim sockets can be consumed by
misbehaving mail servers (or spam zombies) and thus we defer mail. I'm
open to discussion on this, if I'm doing something wrong, or
misunderstanding.

2) The far-end customer (using EdgeWave) is reporting SOME fatal errors.
Most messages are getting through, but the reason I found the problem is
after being contacted by their ISP asking why we aren't accepting some of
their mail.

3) We have rate limits set up for misbehaving mail servers, and these
timeouts are counted toward the rate limit. I will need to research to
find out how to stop counting timeouts toward rate limits, if I am to start
ignoring these timeouts as non-issues.

4) It seems most servers with this timeout problem are either EdgeWave mail
servers, or spam zombie home computers. I'm hesitant to ignore these
timeouts, but if the Exim community feels that I should, then I will.

Thanks!!

- Scott