Re: [exim] Exim Sender Verify problem with BATV

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Sender Verify problem with BATV
On 23/02/12 13:01, Roman Gavrilov wrote:
> I was wandering if this is a problem on our side or its expedia?
> Can we do something about it besides disabling sender verification ( /
> Sender Verification Callouts are disabled)/?

Short answer: It's their end. They should not be sending out emails from
your domain.

Long answer:

Expedia should not be using your domain in the envelope sender; that
address is meant to be the entity responsible for accepting bounces for
the particular email. Since you know that the email address does not
exist, you are rightfully rejecting it because you will not accept
bounces on that address. It is a forgery. It has almost nothing to do
with batv; they are using batv properly on their own domain and it's
just leaking out to all others.

We had a very similar problem here and they were somehow able to turn
off the signing and use their own domain. I expected they would have
fixed it for everyone.

eg they now use
bounce-NNN_HTML-NNNNNNNNN-NNNNNN-NNNNNN-NN@???
when sending emails that were previously bouncing (replace N with a digit).

I note that you are getting emails from a different set of MTA. The
emails arrive from mtaN.expediamail.com and mtaN.global.expediamail.com
here (replace N with a digit).

Ted.