Re: [exim] Outbound Spam Protection

Author: Jeff Lassman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Outbound Spam Protection
On Monday, January 02, 2012 11:49:07 AM The Doctor wrote:

> The bigger sticker is this:
>
> someone poisons an account with a spamming script.
>
> The only way to detect this is the set up outbound spam
> detection to protect your reputation.

There are other ways to detect this which haven't been discussed yet in this
thread. We do the following:

1. We limit the quantity of email recipients a username can send daily without
us being notified. We use 200 as a default, and adjust as necessary. As a
hosting company, we limit per hosting account, not per individual email
address, but you can do it either way. This early notification allows us to
look outgoing emails manually; even with thousands of outgoing accounts the
human energy load is surprisingly lite.

2. We've created a feedback loop with AOL. Generally all spammers have a
number of AOL addresses in their email address lists, and AOL will arrange to
send back to us copies of all emails from our servers which their users report
as spam. While there are some false positives, again the human energy load is
surprisingly light.

We don't want to run SpamAssassin on all messages because SpamAssassin uses a
lot of machine resources, and because many spammers carefully test their
messages against SpamAssassin before sending them.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lassman, Nobaloney Internet Services
Post Office Box 52200, Riverside, CA 92517