Re: [exim] IDN, UTF-8 and Punycode curiosity

Góra strony
Autor: Mark Elkins
Dla: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] IDN, UTF-8 and Punycode curiosity
On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 20:24 -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2012-01-03 at 12:49 +0200, Warren Baker wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Cyborg <cyborg2@???> wrote:
> > > Am 03.01.2012 10:11, schrieb Mark Elkins:
> > >
> > > You have to use xn--caf-dma.co.za in your backend .. nothing else will
> > > work.
> >

> > I have never used it, but doesn't setting allow_utf8_domains and
> > adjusting dns_check_names_pattern do the job?
>
> It depends upon the client software; the official IETF approach is to
> use Punycode, but another approach is to just put UTF-8 straight into
> DNS -- the argument (which I agree with) is that those who want to work
> with that part of the world which needs this will upgrade DNS and those
> who don't won't, and it's a lot less work to support UTF-8 than to
> support Punycode translations everywhere. Mind, normalisation is still
> needed.
>
> I personally run with those two settings, but to my knowledge I've never
> sent or received mail which depended upon them. One of the TODO items
> on my plate is Punycode support in Exim, to better play with the IETF
> vision of how complex the world should be.

I relented and added a punycode version of the domain name to my MySQL
tables. Also registered (mje@) 'pösix.eu' for proper testing purposes
with e-mail.

Phil:
What exactly do you have 'allow_utf8_domains' and
'dns_check_names_pattern' set to and exactly where should they be
included in the config file. I'm running exim-4.77 (Gentoo).
Just like to get it right first time around.

Are there mail clients (MUA) which translate between UTF-8 and PunyCode
or is this the job of the MTA to try and sort out? Thunderbird and
Evolution both fail with a similar

It would probably be useful if exim could at least 'translate' puny to
UTF in the final deliver stage (eg: deliver by mysql) - but I might be
able to fudge that by having both versions of the name in my DB table -
ie end up with e-mail delivered to my exim via punycode being
appropriately placed in the correct UTF directory with UTF headers.

Some native UTF-8/Punycode would be preferred though.
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje@???  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE