Re: [exim] Outoing mail vanishes into black hole

Góra strony
Autor: Dave Evans
Dla: Anthony Campbell
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Outoing mail vanishes into black hole
On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 04:45:50PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> To introduce myself briefly, I'm using exim4 on Debian Sid together with
> mutt; I've done so for some years.
>
> I have this on two machines, on both of which it works perfectly.
> I have now set up Debian Sid on another machine (EEEPC 901), using
> exactly the same config file (/etc/update-exim4.conf.conf).
>
> Sending mail out appears to work but it never arrives at its
> destination. There are no error messages in /var/log/ and
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog shows the mail as having left correctly via the
> smarthost on my ISP's server. ending with 'Completed'.
>
> How can I go about finding what is wrong?

Turn on log_selector = +smtp_confirmation . This will cause your exim to log
any receipt ID provided by remote servers when then accept mail from you. For
example here's a (slightly redacted) example from my mail server:

2011-12-19 19:07:46 1RciYq-0000Mn-Ec => ...@aviva.com P=<...@djce.org.uk> R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp S=1607 H=d.mx.avivaemail.co.uk [207.251.96.23] C="250 ok 1324321688 qp 10182"

If that message then goes missing, you should contact the administrators of
whichever server the mail was sent to (in my example, the admins of
d.mx.avivaemail.co.uk), tell them the confirmation text that their server
provided (in the example, "250 ok 1324321688 qp 10182") - in fact probably
even better, provide them with the complete log line from your server. With a
bit of luck, they'll then be able to look up what their server did with that
message.

Alternatively, you could try posting your server's log lines to this mailing
list - maybe there's enough information in them to be able to identify the
problem.

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/