Re: [exim] Archiving Problems

Author: Dean Bishop
To: Chris Wilson
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Archiving Problems
Hey Chris,

>>I'm getting very confused about what you're complaining about.
>>Please could you help us all by clearly stating the problem that

you're replying to/venting about?

The basic problem is that messages sent from a local account to a local
alias are duplicated in the outgoing archive.

It appears that the outgoing message is archived once in the outgoing
archive as the user sends the message, as it should, but then gets
archived a second time in the outgoing archive as it is being translated
from alias to local account. This _only_ occurs in this specific
scenario and, just to be complete, the message is also archived once in
the incoming archive as it should. It's being archived three times and
should only be archived twice. Once in the outgoing archive and once in
the incoming archive.

Messages sent from other servers to aliases or accounts are archived
properly as are all messages sent from local accounts to local accounts
(not aliases) and all messages sent to remote servers.
>>Is it worth the trouble of trying to fix it?

I had actually thrown in the towel on this as it is a minor issue but
there were a couple of ideas put out there that lead me to believe that
I could eliminate this as well.

>>It's not going to be easy to have it both ways, but it is possible if

you're willing to manage exim.conf by hand. It may not be possible if
you insist on using cpanel to manage it, I don't know enough about
cpanel to advise you about this and I'm not willing to learn.

Unfortunately I'm locked into the cPanel box. I can add config to
specific areas but not others. Yes, this is a big PITA but managing
hundreds of web/email hosting accounts manually is just not feasible.

>>please DO NOT copy and paste it blindly without understanding what it

does and why.

Nope, wouldn't dream of it. I've been working in a sandbox anyway until
I get everything tickity-boo.

I hope that clears the mud again,
dean