Re: [pcre-dev] pattern info per pcretest

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] pattern info per pcretest
Hi Craig,

> Here's what I've found in my research:
> OS X: malloc_size()
> glibc: malloc_usable_size()
> Windows: _msize()
>
> I think solaris libc has one too, but I'm not sure what it is.
> In any case, it definitely affects portability (makes it more work) if
> you want to use such functionality.

Thanks again for the help. I can avoid using them now, but it is good to know that it is possible. Although this information is mostly statistical it could be useful for embedded systems. I made a valgrind tool a years ago called Freya (http://webkit.sed.hu/node/29) which is able to group the allocations nicely. In WebKit we are interested how much memory is allocated by JavaScript, CSS or rendering modul rather than how much memory is allocated by the vector or hash table allocator, and we couldn't find a nice tool for that. But this is a different story.

Regards,
Zoltan