Re: [pcre-dev] pattern info per pcretest

Author: Sheri
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] pattern info per pcretest
On 12/1/2011 11:46 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Also, I would like to distribution interim updates but cannot prepare the html
> documentation (no groff). Phillip would it be possible for you to
> automatically trigger updates to the html versions when you update the doc
> files?
> It is up to you, but between releases the code is not guaranteed to be
> as well tested. I run a whole series of tests with different
> compile-time options just before a release, including
> --disable-stack-for-recursion, which is not normally configured for me.
> These have on occasion shown up problems that needed fixing. Also, the
> version number, RC number, and date do not get updated until just before
> a release.
>
> I would have to remember to build the html documentation when I update
> the other doc files. I guess I could try to do that.

I figured out how to produce the html versions, although if the input
files went through the other scripts they might be cleaner. Also, the
html files ended up with \r\n line ends (I guess a by product of perl
being used on Windows). Just reporting this in case anyone else ever
needs to do this.

Saved as dohtml.sh, and executed in Msys with sh dohtml.sh:

cd doc
for file in *.1 ; do
   base=`basename $file .1`
   echo "  Making $base.html"
   perl ../132html -toc $base <$file >html/$base.html
done
for file in *.3 ; do
   base=`basename $file .3`
   toc=-toc
   if [ `expr $base : '.*_'` -ne 0 ] ; then toc="" ; fi
   if [ "$base" = "pcresample" ]  || \
      [ "$base" = "pcrestack" ]   || \
      [ "$base" = "pcrecompat" ]  || \
      [ "$base" = "pcrelimits" ]  || \
      [ "$base" = "pcreperform" ] || \
      [ "$base" = "pcreunicode" ] ; then
     toc=""
   fi
   echo "  Making $base.html"
   perl ../132html $toc $base <$file >html/$base.html
   if [ $? != 0 ] ; then exit 1; fi
done
cd ..
echo Documentation done

It is essentially an excerpt of PrepareRelease.

Some of the issues with PrepareRelease that came up trying to use
"PrepareRelease doc" on Windows under Msys/MinGW:

1) No tmp directory exists at /C/tmp

1) No groff (ok I found one, but it didn't solve anything, maybe only
needed for producing txt versions of the files)

2) CheckMan is not in the distribution. (have not reviewed it)

3) To launch 132html as a perl script on Windows it needs to be run
with "perl 132html" (assuming perl is somewhere on the Windows path).
Or if the file extension .pl is registered, a file named 132html.pl
could be executed.

Regards,
Sheri