Re: [exim] Google+ page for Exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Phil Pennock
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Google+ page for Exim
On 2011-11-08 at 09:55 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Nice initiative. Maybe you should also get www.facebook.com/exim? I believe
> we have the numbers to "like" it to earn that space.

That means using Facebook. I've sworn off.

Disclosure: $previous_employer is trying to be a player in the social
space and $current_employer is a player. But my choice of avoiding FB
is not influenced by this -- heck, I signed up for an FB account while
at $previous_employer. I just rarely use it.

My stance is that G+ currently has an audience which is heavily skewed
towards the sysadmin/programmer demographic and since I'm using G+
anyway, it's not a problem for me to set up a brand page for Exim.
Meanwhile, tweeting about Release Candidates has gotten us a little more
testing than just my mails to exim-users, as some folks don't read the
mailing-list but do note and retweet the RC messages and even actually
test the RCs.

So exim-users is and remains the best place to stay informed on issues
such as release candidates, forthcoming changes, etc, but for stuff that
doesn't warrant sending to exim-announce@ but is a little more
announcey, G+ and Twitter make sense for augmenting the reach of the
messages.

I don't care about popularity or such; I do care about getting testers
for release candidates, patches, etc, and for letting people know when
we're about to break things in a new release.

-Phil