[exim] pipe transports, aliases, oh my

Author: Yan Seiner
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] pipe transports, aliases, oh my
I am using Request Tracker (http://www.bestpractical.com) which has a
mailgate.

In the past I've just used aliases to pipe the mail to the appropriate
command. Exim doesn't allow that (Or at least it's strongly discouraged.)

I have about 20 aliases that are piped to various commands. /etc/aliases
allows this to be grouped neatly and I can see what is going on. I need
to change the aliases occasionally.

I can't figure out how to do this in exim without creating
router/transport pairs for each email address.... That's a total of 40
chunks of config files, each about 5 lines long, or some 200+ lines
altogether to replace 20 lines in /etc/aliases..... There has to be a
better way.

What is the best way to handle this many pipes?

--
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year,
but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If