[exim] Delivery rules for specific users? (gmail / default f…

Author: Edward Morbius
To: exim4 users
Subject: [exim] Delivery rules for specific users? (gmail / default forwarders)
The scenario: a workstation (Debian GNU/Linux) with several accounts.
"Several" could range from a small handful to scores or more, so
while individual configuration is possible, soemthing a bit more
flexible would be helpful (eg: not having to gather/enter/maintain
username/password pairs for all gmail users).

Mail from some users goes

1: exclusively through gmail.
2: for some depending on the senders address it should go through
gmail or for SMTP delivery via an ssh tunnel to a remote site,
3: mail for others should be delivered locally to system accounts,
4: and for yet others, be kicked off to the organizational mailserver
as a smarthost config.

Most of the local delivery stuff (case 3) would be system accounts
(identifiable by UID range). For specified remote systems (ssh tunnel
part of case 2) the behavior would be specified. It would be
convenient to handle case 1 (gmail) as a default attempt rule, with 4
(smarthost/mailserver).

I'm not sure if gmail requires SMTP auth to match the user attempting
mail delivery, though I suspect this is the case, in which event I'd
need authentication tokens for each specific user (and the exim
passwd.client file would be used for auth, I suspect).

I'm pretty sure exim4 can support this. How would I set it up and/or
what parts of the Exim docs should I be focusing my attentions?

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/index.html

Thanks.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Philologist / Robot Wrangler / Powerplant Operator