Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users

Autor: Colin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users

On 27/10/2011 06:42, W B Hacker wrote:
> A host lookup (of any kind..) should NOT be called for on submission
> port 587.
>
> The typical user pool will be on broadband or dial-up and have neither
> a proper PTR RR nor DNS 'chain' that Exim (fairly forgiving and
> persistent at 'finding a way') is able to vet as smtp-useful.
>
> You need to grep-out that clause and modify what is around it.
>
> Here are a couple of examples for making exceptions on a similar issue.
>
> ====
> deny
>     condition   = ${if eq{$interface_port}{25}}
>     !verify     = reverse_host_lookup
> ===

> deny
>     !condition   = ${if eq{$interface_port}{587}}
>     !verify     = reverse_host_lookup

> ===
>
> Don't forget to also cast a glance at a local IP whitelists or such
> BEFORE hitting anyhting as draconian as these - or as another included
> !condition on hit.
>
> May also need a 'pass' for authorized relays and DNS-less boxen, such
> as file archivers ELSE their cron reports can be blocked...
>
> Bill

Thank you for the reply,

All mail comes through frontend filtering servers which deliver via TLS
on port 25, so 587 is not involved.

As it happens I believe I have tracked down the cause.

I have the following ACL which doesn't behave as I expected. This to my
understand should require a verify only if the recipient domain is
listed in /etc/staticroutes.

   warn
     condition = ${if eq
{1}{${lookup{$domain}lsearch{/etc/staticroutes}{1}{0}}}}
     require verify = recipient/callout=30s,defer_ok,use_sender

This was before my accept authenticated = * so for some reason this is
triggering a verify on other messages - possibly if the sender is listed
in /etc/staticroutes.

I also wonder, should the defer_ok be in the recipient/callout/defer_ok?
If this is only meant to apply to entries in /etc/staticroutes then it
shouldn't matter, however with it causing verify for other domains I
think it might make a difference?

Regards,
Colin