Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users
Colin wrote:

> On 26/10/2011 12:38, Colin wrote:
>>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The default Exim configuration has "require verify = recipient" in
>> acl_check_rcpt.
>>
>> I'm having problems with Outlook users where they send a message to 20
>> people and the smtp session for the whole message gets rejected
>> because one message exhibits a temporary failure. The most noteable
>> one is "host lookup did not complete".
>>
>> I was hoping to disable recipient verification for authenticated users
>> on the basis that these messages would go into Exim queues, be
>> delivered to valid recipients and the failed ones returned when the
>> retry time expires.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest what is needed to modify the line to do this, or
>> alternatively a way to prevent the whole SMTP session from being
>> rejected when only one recipient gets this error?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Colin.
>>

> Apparently something is amiss.
>
> According to my ACL, authenticated users should not be subject to the
> recipient verification.
>
> I have this earlier in the ACL so the message should be accepted before
> it gets to the recipient verification.
>
> accept hosts = *
> authenticated = *
>
> To test, I have commented out the recipient verification from exim.conf
> and restarted exim. The message still gets rejected.
>
> I can see from my frontend server logs that the message gets rejected at
> RCPT TO time so it can't be any later ACLS.
>
> Google is not my friend on this one as trying to find anything about
> "host lookup did not complete" comes back with billions of people with
> misconfigured DNS. That is not my problem, I want Exim to accept
> messages with temporary failures from authenticated users.
>
> I guess another setting is required so I will keep searching...

Ah - forgot to mention one of the BASIC conventions:

Any 'deny class' verb is permanent. Session having been terminated, no
later 'accept' could possibly act.

An 'accept' OTOH is *temporary* ..

...unless it is the LAST one to act in acl_smtp_data.

'endpass' after an 'accept' can skip all remaining clauses in a given
phase. But any LATER phase can still execute a 'deny'.

In essence, 'accept' just means 'continue the march'.

This is probably what is undoing you....

Bill

--
韓家標