Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users

Autor: Colin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Recipient verify only for non-authenticated users

On 26/10/2011 12:38, Colin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The default Exim configuration has "require verify = recipient" in
> acl_check_rcpt.
>
> I'm having problems with Outlook users where they send a message to 20
> people and the smtp session for the whole message gets rejected
> because one message exhibits a temporary failure. The most noteable
> one is "host lookup did not complete".
>
> I was hoping to disable recipient verification for authenticated users
> on the basis that these messages would go into Exim queues, be
> delivered to valid recipients and the failed ones returned when the
> retry time expires.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is needed to modify the line to do this, or
> alternatively a way to prevent the whole SMTP session from being
> rejected when only one recipient gets this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin.

Apparently something is amiss.

According to my ACL, authenticated users should not be subject to the
recipient verification.

I have this earlier in the ACL so the message should be accepted before
it gets to the recipient verification.

accept  hosts = *
           authenticated = *

To test, I have commented out the recipient verification from exim.conf
and restarted exim. The message still gets rejected.

I can see from my frontend server logs that the message gets rejected at
RCPT TO time so it can't be any later ACLS.

Google is not my friend on this one as trying to find anything about
"host lookup did not complete" comes back with billions of people with
misconfigured DNS. That is not my problem, I want Exim to accept
messages with temporary failures from authenticated users.

I guess another setting is required so I will keep searching...