Re: [exim] Router/Transport Problem with multiple entries

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Router/Transport Problem with multiple entries
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Colin wrote:

> "This option is ignored when the address has been routed by a router that
> supplies a host list (for example, /lookuphost/), unless /hosts_override/ is
> set."
>
> I read this to mean that the hosts line in the transport will be ignored
> unless hosts_override is in there - am a I wrong?

Well, since you supply hosts with route_data, there is no point in those
other two options, is there? (I assume you have some smarthost router,
or a dnslookup router, for stuff you're not static routing )

> Incidentally, I thought of a couple of queries with regards to improving the
> "staticroutes" setup as follows:
>
> 1) If I was to put multiple entries for a domain in the staticroutes file,
> will Exim try each of them in order until one succeeds?

Yes, if you omit (I believe) hosts_randomize from the router. Check the
docs for the correct syntax for multiple destinations, I forget what it
is at the moment.

> 2) The transport specifically uses port 25. I was wondering if this could be
> a default setting but over-ridden if the staticroutes file contained a line
> such as:
>
> domain.com: 1.1.1.1:26
>
> I've only had to use an alternate port once when someone's broadband was
> down. They had a backup freephone dialup but port 25 was blocked on it. I had
> to write an entirely separate staticroutes2 to use an alternate port back
> then. It would be nice to have an easy option though!

You could probably do it with some string manipulation in the router
stanza, but remember that ':' is the default list separator. Perhaps
someone else can offer a more informed opinion on this. The only time
I ever run smtp on a non-standard port is when I run a 'test' copy of
my local exim on port 26, for trying out new stuff on my interal network.

  Dave Lugo     dlugo@???      No spam, thanks.
  Are you the police?  . . .  No ma'am, we're sysadmins.