Re: [exim] relay not permitted?

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Lars Nielsen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] relay not permitted?
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Lars Nielsen <lars@???> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I know that this might have been brought up a million times by now, but
> how do I relay emails from my users?

By using smtp authentication. This is basically a mode of smtp where
a user's MUA (such as outlook) connects and authenticates itself using
a username (usually the full email address) and a password. Your
question is how to set up that within exim. The spec has some
explanations, but there are also some decent howto's on the net. Do
some google searches, but if it mentions the exact phrase "exim4" it
probably won't work for you because that's the Debian implementation
of exim so just skip those.

> Is there a tutorial or a section of the manual that I have been missing?

Google for things like:
exim smtp auth
exim smtp auth howto
etc...

It's not that hard, you just need to figure out how you're storing the
passwords (local user with pam, virtual user with mysql, etc) and
configure the authenticator to search there for the info. The second
aspect to consider is that you have to generate the password in the
correct format. There are typically utilities or routines to do so.

Regards...             Todd

--
If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread,
pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the