Re: [exim] ratelimiting outgoing mail

Author: Brent Jones
To: Mikhail Lischuk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ratelimiting outgoing mail
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:46 AM, Mikhail Lischuk <mlischuk@???> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am searching for some easy way to ratelimit my
> outgoing emails.
>
> My provider requires me to send no more than 30
> messages per 10 minutes. I've tried to search for some solution at
> Google and was not successfull.
>
> What I was planning to do is setting
> Exim run qeue say once per minute, and setting connection_max_messages =
> 3
>
> However, I fear that it would ruin performance and some emails will
> be delivered with a significant delay.
>
> Is there anything to be advised
> in such situation?
>
> --
> With Best Regards
> Mikhail Lischuk [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:mlischuk@itx.com.ua
> --

Exim documentation has a fully detailed section on its built in rate
limiting facility.

Boiling down a quick example:

  warn
    hosts           = *
    ratelimit       = 60 / 1h / strict / per_rcpt /
{$sender_host_address}_sender_rcptlimit
    log_message     = Rate limit in effect ( $sender_host_address )
exceeds $sender_rate in $sender_rate_period

Put that into an ACL where it makes sense (do they restrict number of
deliveries, recipients, commands?)

--
Brent Jones
brent@???